Deep Ancestry: My Unexpected Ancient Heritage in Haplogroup V

by Amber Magnolia Hill on February 8, 2012

Alternatively titled “Now I Know That My Imagination’s Uncontrollable Flights of Whimsy into Scandinavian Hyperborean Dream States is All in My Genes”

(The human family tree only started to separate into diverging branches about 2,000 generations ago…)

After six weeks of patiently checking in every day, I finally got my DNA results back from The Genographic Project yesterday! I thought the timing was quite fitting, as today is my birthday (and Missa‘s and Lucia’s)! When Adam got me the testing kit for Christmas (as he pointed out, it turned out to be a Christmas AND birthday gift) I was so happy to finally have the opportunity to do something that I’ve been wanting to do for years- trace my ancient heritage back to the dawn of humankind.

The Genographic Project is an amazingly ambitious endeavor by The National Geographic Society and Dr. Spencer Wells to map the genetic journey that the ancestors of modern humans took when we left Africa some 60,000 years ago. (I just noticed that I wrote “we” there instead of “they”, which is forcing me to share that Faulkner quote yet again because I seem to have just subconsciously proven it somehow true, “The past is never dead. It isn’t even past”.) I am so inspired by this project, and by the fact that these questions that humans have been asking for millennia about where we came from and how we are got here are now being answered. And that we can all participate in the uncovering of this knowledge!

Each of us comes from a seemingly endless line of ancestors, the number of them doubling each generation further back we go. But modern day testing only allows you to trace two lines- either your pure maternal line (mother’s mother’s mother’s mother’s mother’s mother’s mother’s mother’s mother…) via the Mitochondrial DNA that only women pass down, or your pure paternal line (father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father’s father…) via the Y chromosome. Women don’t have a Y chromosome, so if we want to trace our patrilineal heritage we need to have a close male relative submit his DNA.

I started getting interested in all of this a few years ago when I started learning more about my immediate ancestors. I was fascinated by their stories, and amazed at how close they all felt to me, how real it suddenly seemed that these people who I had never met had had a major influence on who I was to become. But my mind would wander off, wander outward, and I’d wonder about my, as they call it, Deep Ancestry. The people whose names I would never know, who lived in pre-history, who were certainly not born in America. I had looked into various DNA testing companies, but didn’t have the money or inclination to participate just yet.

That all changed when I watched The Human Family Tree (<-streaming on Netflix!), an informative and moving special by National Geographic. I was blown away by how far our gene-tracing technology has come, touched by how genetically close we really all are, and floored by the prospect of contributing my DNA to this large database of knowledge and finding out more about myself and my deep ancestry in the process. (I would add that this looks to me to be the cheapest way to find out your own ancient ancestry, plus you have the chance to add to a large pool of data and help this branch of science progress forward.)

In case you’re a total psychopath who finds all of this boring and can’t imagine how the lives and selves of your ancestors effect you today, consider how totally unlikely it is that you exist at all and how every decision each of your millions of antecedents made somehow all led to you being here now:

From Are You Totally Improbable or Totally Inevitable?

I was recently watching Faces of America, a PBS documentary that explores the ancestry of famous people (yes, much like Who Do You Think You Are?) and in it the host Henry Louis Gates Jr. asks Meryl Streep “Do you think that our ancestors shape who we are?” and she answers, succinctly but eloquently, “We are nothing but them”.

You see, all of this matters. So I was absolutely thrilled, and quite surprised, to find that my long line of maternal grandmothers and I belong to Haplogroup V. (Simply put, a haplogroup is a group of people who share a common ancestor). I was pretty sure my ancestry would be European (though the farthest back I’ve been able to trace my matrilineal heritage is French Canada in the 1800s), but I never would have expected to belong to this particular group.

Haplogroup V is the least common of the 7 European clans defined in Bryan Sykes book The Seven Daughters of Eve, which I read sometime last year and am certainly going to read again soon (with renewed interest)! In it, Sykes assigns names to each ancestral clan mother, and Haplogroup V’s matriarch is bequeathed the moniker Velda.

According to Swanstrom “Velda is the smallest of the seven European clans containing only about 4% of native Europeans. Velda lived 17 thousand years ago (~850 generations) in the limestone hills of Cantabria in northwest Spain. Her descendants are found nowadays mainly in western and northern Europe. They are surprisingly frequent among the Skolt Sámi (Lapps) (50%) of Scandinavia and the Basques (12%) of Spain.” And according to Eupedia “Haplogroup V reaches its highest frequency in northern Scandinavia (40% of the Sami), northern Spain, the Netherlands (8%), Sardinia, the Croatian islands and the Maghreb. It is likely that H1, H3 and V, along with haplogroup U5, were the main haplogroups of Western European hunter-gatherers living in the Franco-Cantabrian refuge during the last Ice Age, and repopulated much of Central and Northern Europe from 15,000 years ago.”

This graphic shows Haplogroup V and H (which gave rise to V)’s worldwide distribution today. I wonder how common this genetic marker is in America? According to this it’s between 0 and .5%, but that seems so low. Although National Geographic does echo the sentiment that not many of Velda’s descendants live outside of Europe now, “Today, Haplogroup V tends to be restricted to western, central, and northern Europe. It’s age is estimated at around 15,000 years old, indicating that it likely arose during the 5,000 years or so that humans were confined to the European refuge [meaning during the last Ice Age].”

I’ll probably never know which Haplogroup V subgroup I am descended from, though it is nice to belong to such a small group and have the options be less that they could otherwise be. What I do know though is that my ancestors lived in or near the Northernmost reaches of Europe, quite possibly in Scandinavia. Although none of my genealogy work has linked any of my more immediate ancestors to this region, I have always felt a sort of spiritual affinity with these wintry latitudes and their inhabitants. A while back I posted about my Deep Genealogy work with my herbalist friend Atava. I remember during our first conversation she asked me about my family history and what I am drawn to most. I mentioned the Scandinavian connection, but quickly followed up by saying that I have no evidence that I am indeed a descendent of anyone who has lived there.

Well, that has all changed now. Now I know that my nerdy obsession with the word hyperborean (I’ve been able to use it twice on facebook and once on twitter and many times in conversations ever since I came across it in my gigantic old dictionary last winter) is somewhat justified. Hyperborean means “beyond the north wind”, and I just think that that is the most beautiful sentiment to be able to express in one word. Just imagining a place beyond the north wind immediately sends my imagination into a dreamy revery full of old earth spirits, wise animal guides, and hearty folk who spend their evenings rosy-cheeked beside the roar of the hearth fire.

If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know I have a love for all European folk prints, and especially those of the Scandinavian persuasion. I will stock my shop with any vintage dress that features one, and am always looking for new art to hang on my walls.

My shelves are lined with books about Northern Europe in the Ice Age and the Middle Ages. I love Norse mythology and yew trees. I love Viking history. I love their ships and especially the prows of their ships. In the most epic dream I’ve ever had I was in a sort of dusky underworld, floating along alone on a classic Viking ship on a murky river reminiscent of Styx. The prow was a three-headed snake/dragon that was alive, each creature slithering its long head over and under that of its companions. The ship with its living three-headed prow serpent was taking me somewhere secret and subterranean.

And of course, there’s the ever-present mind-lure of Arctic whaling. I love reading stories, both fictional and true, about the crazy ass whalers who braved the ice to chase enormous sea creatures in the name of savagery and profit. (If this is your first time reading this blog, rest assured that I do not support whaling, but am fascinated by its history).

Don’t even get me started on the Nordic fjords.

I’ve also been enamored of the Sami people ever since reading about them a few years ago. The November 2011 issue of National Geographic featured the most gorgeous photographic essay about these folk, who spend their time following their reindeer herds between Siberia and Scandinavia:

Then recently I found out that my lovely & amazing friend Summer is a direct Sami descendant (and doesn’t she just look the part?) and the first words out of my mouth were “No wonder I feel such a kinship with you!” or something of the like, having no idea that that statement was more literal than metaphorical.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from The Genographic Project, it’s that we really and truly are all connected. It’s a scientific fact. Somewhere back in time, Summer here and I share an ancestor. And if you keep going back, or forward, you and I do too.

We all come from the same place and the same small group of African hominids who were lucky or smart or destined enough to outwit their surroundings and beat the odds when all other hominid lines failed. And yet, as Dr. Wells points out, what really stands out from this project’s data is that we’re all so different. Haplogroup V diverges from all the other haplogroups in ways geographic, cultural, and perhaps even spiritual. Each lineage, each family, each individual is a joyful expression of the heartbreakingly beautiful dance of cosmic evolution of which we are all a blessed part.

Each atom in our bodies was born of supernova explosions millions of years ago. We are literally made of stardust, and the cosmos are our most ancient ancestors. Speaking of, have you heard Bjork’s latest album Biophilia? Especially the song Cosmogony? Bjork, who I have always loved, who I have always been told I resemble (especially my childood pictures), and who I am now officially considering kin since she is from Northern Europe, certainly understands the common origins of all of life.

I will move onward from this day, my birthday, knowing that much more about where I come from, feeling supported by all who came before me and all that carries me forward in strong and silent ways of which I will never be consciously aware.

(Maybe my 300th great-grandmother used to sing my 299th great-grandmother to sleep with a North Germanic lullaby such as this one…)

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

wendy February 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

Happy Birthday Amber! Love you girl….this was a great post! Thank you!

Crystal February 8, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I think I know exactly where you are coming from. I can sense it in your passion. There is this draw from the very middle of my soul towards certain cultures and places. I find that the more I know myself, and farther I go on my journey, the farther back in my ancestry my soul connects. As I go forward in time, and learn my lessons, my soul goes further back, and I learn from my ancestors. I have felt a deep connection with the American southwest, only to find that my family on my fathers side lived there since the late 1500s. Whoa. My family crest hangs in the house of the governor in Santa Fe.

Those are very recent ancestors. Now, as I have grown enormously in the last eight months, I find myself with dreams and visions of Scotland. I know you know what I’m talking about, and that it’s a soul deep connection, and not fantasy. I have an enormous amount of family from there, but never gave it a second thought before. I now know that this feeling is a longing for one of the homes of my ancestors, and that there is something very important for me to learn having to do with those people and that place and their way of life.

Speaking of rambling :)
The Guatemalan mountain people say that you don’t learn things as you go in life, you remember them. Which is to say that your soul is full of wisdom, knowledge and experience, and our life events help us to remember it all.

I love ancestor worship. It feels like sinking your roots deep into the spirit earth.
Happy Birthday!!

brigit February 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm

happy birthday! i remember taking physics in college and being blown away that we are stardust. science is awesome. very glad you beat the odds and were born!hope your day is special.

heather February 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm

wow, that was incredible. it amazes me that this is even possible, and that you are part of such a rare (in america) group! makes beautiful cosmic sense too, in some fascinating weblike way, and i found it especially romantically moving to hear about how some of your deep fascinations meet in your deep ancestry’s roots. hyperborean woman, from the place where mythical creatuers are born…happy birthday!

jillian February 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm

This is truly amazing and inspiring. Thanks for all the research you did and for sharing with everyone!

Merina February 8, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Very interesting article! I have a particular interest in the Sami people, as my partners Father comes from Siberia. This past Solstice season I became fascinated in studying the organs of Christmas, the entire cebration is derived from the Shamanic practices of that region. The fir tree, with it’s bright red ornaments, the Amanita
Muscaria drying on the branches. Even how Santa would enter through the smokehouse, the chimney, as front doors were usually blocked with deep snow, to deliver the sacrament perfectly attuned for The Deep Winter journey of the Solstice. A potent portal where we always have an opportunity to take advantage of this little understood natural gateway. If you have’t yet explored the origins of this holy day, there is a plethora of material available out there. Perhaps you already feel this deep connection with these sacred practices of
Mindfulness, self-exploration, and conscious expansion through your ancestors,,,

Amber of Violet Folklore February 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Merina, it sounds like you’ve read When Santa Was a Shaman: Ancient Origins of Santa Claus & The Christmas Tree. I own and love that book and, yes, it is very relevant to all of this :-)

Celynne February 8, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Bonne fête! I actually thought about ponying up and paying to get that DNA test done, so cool that you got that as a gift.

Jen February 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm

This was extremely fascinating and exciting, well written and fun to read. You made me remember a few years ago when I went through a period when I was fascinated (ahem… obsessed) with all things Celtic. Listened to Celtic music nonstop, started going to renaissance fairs so I could dress up, etc. I always felt like I could aaaaallllmost understand Gaelic whenever I heard it sung or spoken. Actually, I feel that way when crows speak, too… maybe I’ve got bird ancestors, haha!

Anyway, thanks for a great read and a wonderful reminder to look back, back, back. And what’s wrong with a little self-indulgence, anyway? Heehee. Happy birthday.

Sasha February 8, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Happs for bees little lady, what a fascinating post.

I just returned from a business trip that took me to Ottawa via Iqaluit; where I purchased a narwhal tusk for my father and shipped it home to Abbotsford! I will post pictures soon. Holding that tooth/tusk and then purchasing it may be one of the trippiest moments of my life thus far.

The north really seems to speak to you. Maybe someday you and Suuzi can visit me here.

xxoo,
sasha

Tarja February 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I don’t know you personally, but I absolutely LOVE this blog, the images, the self-reflection and above all the willingness to totally follow your heart in all it’s meanderings.

Blessings to you on the celebration of your birth!

kyla February 9, 2012 at 4:52 am

I’ve been reading your blog for a while now after finding it through a web of other blogs, but haven’t yet commented. However my intense interest in this project is compelling me to do so!

Actually, I’m from Santa Cruz, CA but am married to a Finn and living in a hyperborean North, which is actually why I became interested in this genetics stuff anyway. The Finns have such a unique look, language and culture, I began to wonder where it came from. And living in Europe, where people are so connected to their environments through centuries, if not millenia, of inhabitation, it got me to thinking where I actually come from. Not an easy question to answer if your an American. Anyway, I think you may have finally inspired me to take the swab and do it!

Having read a lot about these migrations and reading just this little bit of your own genetic biography, I wouldn’t totally discount Basque ancestry. It seems quite likely that if you can trace your matrilineal heritage back to the French speaking parts of Canada, the immigrants settling there could very well have been Basque or even French with some Velda blood. It seems that aside from the intrepid Sami north and the Berbers to the south, many of Velda’s descendents never left Northern Spain/Southern France. If you’re interested in this possible heritage, I suggest reading A Basque History of the World by Mark Kurlansky. It’s pretty fascinating, even for someone like me with no possible Basque connection. And they speak Europe’s oldest, most isolated language. Pretty cool.

My lord, that turned into a looong first comment. Anyway, thanks so much for sharing your experience and happy birthday!

Amber of Violet Folklore February 9, 2012 at 10:08 am

Mmm, thanks so much for the Basque reading suggestion Kyla. I hadn’t considered the French Canadian-Basque connection before. Now I know where to focus next! I really appreciate your thorough, thoughtful comment :-)

Suuzi February 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Wow! Amber you are truly a wordsmith. What a beautiful and fascinating post.

No wonder I’ve always thought to myself that you look so Asian – you are one of those crazy North-North-Scandinavians! Is there a connection between those people and Central Asian peoples? Mongolia?

And I had no idea Summer was of Sami background. I love the Sami people too, their lifestyle seems like an earthy fairytale existence.

This is so amazing. Adam, best Christmas present ever!

nicole February 10, 2012 at 11:05 am

what a terrific gift! happy birthday!

Sarah February 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Hejsan!

Wow! I can’t believe I’ve actually found someone who loves Northern Europe as much as I do! It’s such a wild and beautiful place with such a rich history. :)

Sometimes people try to tell me that I’m dumb for like “places that are cold and dark all the time” but I don’t care.

Suzanne February 12, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I need to do this so bad!
Love this post very mucho Amber <3

Milla February 21, 2012 at 11:53 pm

What an epic post! Epic in every sense of the word. Vast landscapes across time and emotion, vast knowledge, some waiting patiently inside our genes to be unlocked, some forever gone, but not lost. That has been a recent personal epiphany for me-the understanding that everything that has ever existed remains, intact in its space in time, whether we ever know it or not. Or more elegantly put by that Meryl Streep quote.

It is particularly interesting to me that you have always had this strong pull toward the Arctic Circle, and the particular longitude of it that is inhabited by scandinavians. The Skolt Sami connection is particularly interesting, because they are a very small contingent of Sami people, mostly living in the Northestern parts of Finnish and Norweigian lapland, as well as the Kolla (? Koltanmaa in Finnish;) Peninsula. A lot of the Skolt Sami girls I’ve met are blond, a trait that’s not that common among the Sami, as they are most often short, stout and much darker haired than other Scandinavians.

I could go on and on, and maybe I’ll explore C.’s Sami ancestry in a post, especially since there’s a slim chance you two are related some hundreds of generations ago, but I for now I’m gonna leave you with a netflix recommendation: The Cuckoo or Kukushka-a russian film about a Sami girl and a Finnish and Russian soldier during the second world war. The lead actress Anni Kristiina Juuso went to high school with me and I seem to remember she might be Skolt. She’s definitely a blond Sami beauty.

Thank you for this beautiful post and all its brain-nourishing joy.

chris September 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I also recently tested at Family Tree and found myself in the V haplogroup. Currently I have been unsuccessful at finding direct descendants. But I found your blog because I felt a tingle about being in this V group. I always loved the winters and people comment on my green eyes. I want to delve more! Thank you for your post. I really loved it. p.s. i am curious what haplogroup joni mitchell is. random i know. haha.

Yoka Kaye November 11, 2012 at 2:26 pm

While looking for more information on my haplogroup Velda, I stumbled upon your blog. I am Dutch and was born in Friesland, the Netherlands. For the last 40 years, I have been living in the USA. My two daughters and two granddaughters are contributing to our haplogroup V in the USA as well. I don’t think that I have immediate ancestors among the Sami or the Basques. I think my ancestors just wandered North from Spain after the ice receded and settled in the north/west region of the Netherlands and Germany area. Some women traveled even farther north and ended up in Northern Finland and Norway.We have to be very distantly related. Who knows, maybe you have Frisian ancestors as well.